CM Jonathan Rasberry
- Current Rating: 2071
- Peak Rating: 2128 - July 2016
- Highest Title: CM (Candidate Master) - June 2018
- Best Accomplishments:
- 2016 Alabama Dual Rated Chess Co-Champion
- 2016 Falcon Chess Invitational Champion
- 2015 Alabama Scholastic Chess Champion
- 2014 Alabama Blitz Co-Champion
- 2015-2018: 10+ Other Open Championship Titles
- Coach of 2 State Scholastic Champions (2017, 2018)
- Coached at 4 National Scholastic Championships (Multiple Teams Finished Top 10)
- Hosted Multiple Chess Camps with RasberryChess and the Madison City Chess League
- Co-Coached at Summer Camps with GM Alex Stripunsky, IM Daniel Rensch, and FM Mike Klein
- Middlegame, Endgame Focused: In my opinion, chess is not a game that rewards memorizing. I teach the main ideas found in the middlegame and endgame to promote pattern recognition and critical thinking. Prior to tournaments we will boost their opening book with opening preparation.
- Principles Based: Instead of memorizing strict lines or certain positions, I heavily emphasize the use of principles in decision making such as how to treat a positional imbalance or how to recognize when to attack. Advanced students will of course have certain positions they are required to memorize.
- Student Centered: Most direction of how I coach is based on the student's personal strengths and weaknesses and not based on rating. The student and I study the student's games after tournaments to identify and begin fixing mistakes and I give suggestions on outside materials to study and study tips for maximal study-time efficiency.
Chess is a miniature version of life. To be successful, you need to be disciplined, assess resources, consider responsible choices and adjust when circumstances change.
— Susan Polgar